2008/09/21

Riding a Cable Car, San Francisco

Florian Wahl, a college student from Kempten, Bavaria. “I wanted to improve my English and get away from home. My university in Ulm had partner schools in England and America, but England seemed too close to Germany. Plus, I had always wanted to go to the U.S.. I ended up in Flint, Mich. When the semester ended at Christmastime, I went to New York to see a few friends and then, together with my girlfriend and another couple, flew to Las Vegas for New Year’s. After that the four of us got a big rental car and drove from Las Vegas to San Francisco by way of Death Valley — a proper road trip. But we dropped the car off when we arrived in San Francisco. There were three things we definitely wanted to see there: the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz and cable cars. I knew the cable cars from TV shows and movies and definitely wanted to ride on them. We bought unlimited daylong tickets. It was a beautiful day, and it was great just to ride around the streets, hanging on, looking at the city.”

No comments: